Dr. Sarpo follows the recommendations of the American Association of Orthodontists, and advises that children schedule a complimentary orthodontic appointment at age 7.
By age 7, enough permanent teeth have come in and enough jaw growth has occurred that he can identify existing concerns and anticipate future problems. Any ongoing damaging oral habits can be assessed at this time also. In many cases, no treatment is indicated at this age, but it is a great time to begin planning for future needs for the most efficient treatment plan by entering a growth and development program.
Some signs or habits that may indicate the need for an early orthodontic treatment are:
- early or late loss of baby teeth,
- difficulty in chewing or biting,
- mouth breathing,
- thumb sucking,
- finger sucking,
- crowding, misplaced or blocked out teeth,
- jaws that shift or make sounds,
- biting the cheek or roof of the mouth,
- teeth that meet abnormally or not at all, and
- jaws and teeth that are out of proportion to the rest of the face.
An evaluation with Dr. Sarpo no later than age 7 will allow our team to detect orthodontic concerns and advise if treatment will be necessary. It will also give you the opportunity to begin forming a great relationship for you and your child at an early age with our team. You are part of our family, and we look forward to working with you for many years to come.
Contact our office today to schedule your child’s complimentary first visit!